Saturday, December 8, 2012
I found the post on Pinterest for these adorable snowmen made out of old socks and scrap materials i had laying around. I made 5 altogether so far. 2 for me, 2 for my mom and i gave one to my neighbor :-)
Here is the link for the snowman directions:
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
It seems that alot of attackers use some tactic to get away with violence. Not many people know how to take care of themselves when faced with such a
situation. Everyone should read this especially each and every girl in this world.
FYI - Through a rapist’s eyes! A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts:
They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun! , braid, or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2] The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women who’s clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around to cut clothing.
3] They also look for women using their cell phone, searching through their purse or doing other activities while walking because they are off guard and can be easily overpowered.
4] The number one place women are abducted from / attacked at is grocery store parking lots.
5] Number two is office parking lots/garages.
6] Number three is public restrooms.
7] The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to a second location where they don’t have to worry about getting caught.
8] If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn’t worth it because it will be time-consuming.
9] These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas,or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands.
10] Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you’re not worth it.
POINTS THAT WE SHOULD REMEMBER:
1] If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it, or make general small talk:
can’t believe it is so cold out here, we’re in for a bad winter. Now that you’ve seen their faces and could identify them in a line- up, you lose appeal as a target.
2] If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell Stop or Stay back! Most of the rapists this man talked to said they’d leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would
not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target.
3] If you carry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and carries it with him wherever he goes,) yelling I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY and holding it out will be a deterrent.
4] If someone grabs you, you can’t beat them with strength but you can do it by outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm between the elbow and
armpit or in the upper inner thigh - HARD. One woman in a class this guy taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it; it really hurts.
5] After the initial hit, always go for the groin. I know from a particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy’s parts it is extremely painful. You might think that you’ll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our
instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause him a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble, and he’s out of there.
6] When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. The instructor did it to me without using
much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked audibly.
7] Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don’t dismiss it, go with your instincts. You may feel
little silly at the time, but you’d feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
FINALLY, PLEASE REMEMBER THESE AS WELL ….
I know you are smart enough to know these pointers but there will be some, where you will go “hmm I must remember that” After reading forward it to someone you care about, never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do it.
2. Learned this from a tourist guide to New Orleans : if a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you…. chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or
purse than you and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car: Kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping,eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON’T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side,put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU CLOSE the DOORS , LEAVE.
a. Be aware: look around your car as someone may be
hiding at the passenger side , peek into your car, inside the passenger side floor, and in the back seat. ( DO THIS TOO BEFORE RIDING A TAXI CAB) .
b. If you! u are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
c. Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP IT! It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked “for help” into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
Monday, November 26, 2012
So its been awhile since I've last posted. A lot has been going on. I was pretty sick for a few weeks and I've been job hunting but gladly that has come to a close. I've decided to go back to a company I've worked for before. This move will better suit my needs and I will have more say over my future, but i'm still pretty sad. I made a lot of good friends at Wholefoods and my life is really a lot different then when I came to work for them 4 years ago.
I left a bad relationship and started anew with the most wonderful man I've ever met. This whole year has been filled with so many good experiences. I am truly excited about my future, which is something i'm not sure I've ever felt. Its so wonderful to have something to look forward too.
I haven't been working on any new projects recently. Mostly I've been sick and trying to finish up the blanket gift and my snow flakes but stayed tuned because I have some awesome ideas to bring to life over the next couple weeks!
I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday. I know I did. Thanksgiving is definitely one if my favorite holidays. I love Christmas too but something about Thanksgiving is just relaxing (besides the turkey! ha ha) you just get to make all this amazing food and hang out with your loved ones without the pressure of gifts and seeing people you don't really know (which is the case every year at my mothers) I made Thanksgiving dinner for the first time this year and it was awesome! Nothing burned, everything was delicious. *pats back*
Well stay tuned for posts about my upcoming projects.
Thanks for reading.
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
1. Dollar tree may have everything....for a dollar, but somethings are worth paying more for. In this case, it would've been a good idea to invest in better quality mini glue sticks. I was so delighted to find packs of 20 glue sticks for a dollar and they will totally work on projects where you aren't going to actually see the glue shape but for this project, totally go with the better stuff.
2. More is actually awesome. The wider and thicker you go with the snowflake the sturdier and prettier they will be :)
What you need:
Hot glue sticks
Hot glue gun
Simple snowflake pattern* (I printed mine from a google search)
Glitter (in as many colors as you want to do)
Dish soap mixed with just enough water to make the soap spreadable but not sudzy
1. Lay out 2 pieces of wax paper and using a paper towel coat the wax paper with a light (LIGHT!) layer of barely soapy Dish soap. When you run your finger over it you want it to be slightly slick but not so slick that you can see it leave a trail of your finger through it.
2. place your pattern under the wax paper and start to trace with hot glue, play with it a little until you reach a consistency that you like. *make sure you pick a simple pattern because the glue will spread a bit. you want all the pieces to connect but i wouldn't go too fancy unless you are making HUGE snowflakes.*
3. Allow pieces to dry completely before removing from wax paper. Rinse with cool water to remove any excess soap and then dry with paper towel. The water should be cool to help harden off the glue if you use hot water the glue will become pliable again, you don't want the glue to be pliable at all.
4. Modge Podge. the. Shit. out of them then sprinkle with glitter. Dry. Apply second coat of Modge Podge and glitter if you desire super glittery snowflakes. I did two and I think they are fantastic.
5. Allow to dry overnight. Then hot glue hanger to the back. I am going to use thin string, but i imagine a christmas ornament hook would do just fine as well. If they are a gift you could do some type of ribbon.
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
I also started another one using lavender and teal. This will be one continuous square for the whole blanket. I'm gonna be so warm and snuggly this winter :-)
Monday, October 22, 2012
Thursday, October 18, 2012
Today I got to spend the day with my parents and my sister and her family in Baltimore MD. It was a fun filled day spent at the aquarium. I got to thinking about how important family is. I know so many people who are at odds with their family some for good reason, some not so much. I didn't get to choose them and I don't always agree with them but I have to say they have always been there for me when i'm down and to celebrate when things are good. I love them and I feel pretty fortunate even if at times I wanna bang there heads together, especially times when my mother is driving...and my father is trying to also control the car from the passenger seat...ah good times. Grab your mother and hug her today friends... Or stab her...but gently cause she loves you.I'm kidding,don't stab your mother that's crazy!
Inspiring thoughts brought to you via my brains.
Infinite love and gratitude,